where are the testing docs ?
Dennis Clarke via bind-users
2021-05-06 01:59:27 UTC
Hey there. I looked in the README and I dont see an INSTALL file at all
so I have to assume that the testing docs exist somewhere.

I build 9.11.31 after wrangling the Makefile(s) everywhere and now I
have built a separate machine to run the tests. I needed that because
there are a bucket of interfaces needed and I can not do that on any
large production hardware easily. So anyways ... where are the testing
docs ?
--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC
Tony Finch
2021-05-06 14:50:17 UTC
Post by Dennis Clarke via bind-users
Hey there. I looked in the README and I dont see an INSTALL file at all
so I have to assume that the testing docs exist somewhere.
Have a look at

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/tree/main/bin/tests/system

There are some more notes in:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/blob/main/doc/dev

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <***@dotat.at> https://dotat.at/
disperse power, foster diversity, and nurture creativity

Dennis Clarke via bind-users
2021-05-06 15:03:21 UTC
Post by Tony Finch
Post by Dennis Clarke via bind-users
Hey there. I looked in the README and I dont see an INSTALL file at all
so I have to assume that the testing docs exist somewhere.
Have a look at
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/tree/main/bin/tests/system
Good stuff, thank you. I was searching high and low and I did see :

https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00768

However that says nothing at all about running the testsuite after a
nice clean build. Which is non-trivial now that Makefiles are slightly
borked but that is another issue.

Perhaps the docs at https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00768 can be updated to
at least point to the gutlab link above?
Post by Tony Finch
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/blob/main/doc/dev
I will glance there but for now I think the testsuite should be able to
at least run.

Dennis

Ondřej Surý
2021-05-06 15:24:04 UTC
FTR the test suite is meant to be used by developers. There’s little value to use it for validating the production systems.

Generally speaking, having the dependencies and test interfaces (`sudo bin/tests/system/ifconfig.sh up`) and running `make check` is enough.

Ondřej
--
Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.
2021-05-06 15:57:58 UTC
Post by Ondřej Surý
FTR the test suite is meant to be used by developers. There’s little value to use it for validating the production systems.
Generally speaking, having the dependencies and test interfaces (`sudo bin/tests/system/ifconfig.sh up`) and running `make check` is enough.
I do NOT trust a build result where I had to go hacking into all the
Makefiles just to get it to build. You install without doing testing?

Dennis
Evan Hunt
2021-05-08 18:13:37 UTC
Post by Dennis Clarke via bind-users
I do NOT trust a build result where I had to go hacking into all the
Makefiles just to get it to build. You install without doing testing?
I think Ondrej just meant that we haven't put much emphasis on making the
tests user-friendly, since most of the time you *don't* have to hack
makefiles. We generally use the tests to make sure we haven't broken
something while making changes, but we're not expecting everybody to
do so when installing a published release. That said, I'm *delighted*
to see people running them.

We seem to have inadvertently removed a nice feature when the tests were
revamped a while back - it used to print a helpful message if you ran
"make check" without setting up the environment first, and told you what
you needed to do (specifically, "sudo sh bin/tests/system/ifconfig.sh up").
I think the message got lost when we switched to automake.

Some tests will be skipped if there are missing dependencies, so you may
also wish to install the Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Nameserver and XML::Simple
modules for perl, and dnspython for python.
--
Evan Hunt -- ***@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.
Dennis Clarke via bind-users
2021-05-08 18:23:30 UTC
Post by Evan Hunt
[...]
Well to be fair the build result seems to be just fine. At least fine
enough on this legacy system. The idea is to rip this machine out of
existence in the next year regardless and that will be the last time I
ever look at Solaris or SPARC. End of an era and I think LawnMower Larry
wants things that way. So 9.11.31 will be running as a service on some
Fujitsu SPARC64 boxen until Jan next year and that is he end of that.

For that matter, even Fujitsu tossed the platform out a window and they
built their latest supercomputer with arm64. Lets hope that RISC-V will
get some traction but risc on big endian anything is an endangered
species rarely ever seen in the wild anymore.
2021-05-10 05:55:13 UTC
Post by Dennis Clarke via bind-users
I do NOT trust a build result where I had to go hacking into all the
Makefiles just to get it to build. You install without doing testing?
That's a very strange definition of "hacking". Setting makefile [preferences and options is not in and way "hacking".
--
I started playing Myst at 4:30 in the afternoon and looked up
suddenly and realized it was February.

Dennis Clarke via bind-users
2021-05-10 17:43:45 UTC
Post by @lbutlr
Post by Dennis Clarke via bind-users
I do NOT trust a build result where I had to go hacking into all the
Makefiles just to get it to build. You install without doing testing?
That's a very strange definition of "hacking". Setting makefile [preferences and options is not in and way "hacking".
I realize you are being a jerk on purpose but regardless :

1) 9.11.26 builds perfectly out of the box with no issues

2) 9.11.27 fails to build with a bucket of undefined symbols

3) 9.11.28 fails to build in the same manner

4) 9.11.29 why waste my time looking here ?

5) 9.11.30 does not even exist ... please play again

6) 9.11.31 fails to build with a bucket of undefined symbols

7) dig around madly into 9.11.26 to see if *something* has gone
wonky thereafter ... rebuild it and watch everything "just work"

8) change some compiler flags, look at the CPPFLAGS and begin
digging into the Makefiles to see where things have gone bork

9) find that the Makefile in bin/tools is in fact bork bork bork

10) compare the Makefile in bin/tools with the results from 9.11.26

11) find possible bork botk bork and begin to hack in some silly
edits to get past the bin/tools portion of this mess

12) that works and now other things break, so begin a pile of sed
and grep and awk and such over ALL the Makefiles everywhere and
determine that in fact yes they are all borked slightly

I call all of those four days of work a pile of hack. On an old legacy
platform that no one wants to keep running anymore, and it just keeps
running and running. I don't know what you call it. I just say that
releases after 9.11.26 are borked. However only slightly and in places
no one would look at anyways.

Paul Kosinski via bind-users

Ondřej Surý